Jeep chassis no

phil.c

Question

My GPW jeep has a chassis no that was guessed at by DVLA! On shot blasting the chassis i have found the original no 206087 stamped on the rear cross member. How difficult would it be to change it on the logbook?

Can i get the exact registration no from the chassis no?

Also the no 20yh23 is stamped is this a reg?

Phil

10 answers to this question

My GPW jeep has a chassis no that was guessed at by DVLA! On shot blasting the chassis i have found the original no 206087 stamped on the rear cross member. How difficult would it be to change it on the logbook?

Phil

I believe you can contact the DVLA to get your log changed but they will charge £25 for the privilege and take a while to do it. I had no end of trouble re-registering a vintage tractor, if you can prove that they messed up, you may avoid a fee?

Don't take any of this as gospel as I am only working on prior experiences of DVLA and logbooks for my tractors.

This does sound like it's post war army serial number.

A jeep registered 23 YH 41 is mentioned here: http://www.summerof44.org.uk/Menu/Vehicles/gpw-Ade.htm

So yours would be only a few adrift of this one! If the army registration cards for the YH series still exist you may be lucky and find "your" card also shows the wartime serial number.

This does sound like it's post war army serial number.

A jeep registered 23 YH 41 is mentioned here: http://www.summerof44.org.uk/Menu/Vehicles/gpw-Ade.htm

So yours would be only a few adrift of this one! If the army registration cards for the YH series still exist you may be lucky and find "your" card also shows the wartime serial number.

Thanks for that, where do i get this registration card from?

Phil

The chassis no for a Ford jeep should be on the top of nearside chassis rail just behind the front spring hanger. John

Phil

Neither of the numbers that you have found are chassis no. 206087 seems to be the number that you would find on both sides of the bonnet during WWII, 20YH23 is the post WWII equivelent. The Ford chassis no. is stamped ontop of the nearside chassis rail just behind the front spring hanger. John

Neither of the numbers that you have found are chassis no. 206087 seems to be the number that you would find on both sides of the bonnet during WWII, 20YH23 is the post WWII equivelent. The Ford chassis no. is stamped ontop of the nearside chassis rail just behind the front spring hanger. John

I do have a chassis no on the front rail but it is extremely faint so assumed it had been restamped later on the rear. the no 206087 starts with the letter C in front of it so possibly stands for chassis? the no on the front rail does start with a 20 then i can only make out the top and bottom of some of the digits but they do look similar to the rear no.